Sunday 20 February 2011

Heart's a Flutter


My love of vintage trims knows no end so I was delighted to find some gorgeous hand-crocheted ones at an antiques fair recently. As soon as I see a basket of doilies or crochet my heart makes a little flutter. Thank heavens my husband has endless patience and is capable of amusing himself while I check out every single piece.


I came away with armfuls of beautifully crafted trims in wonderful condition. My collection being rather large I decided it was time to offer some up in my shop. These little kits team up hand-crocheted trims in creamy beige and pure white with machine-made delicate floral lace, mother of pearl and vintage plastic buttons and even a delicate shell-pink buckle.

Whenever I see hand-crocheted trims I think of the women who, with tiny hooks and fine thread (and much better eyes than I!) crafted beautiful adornments to their dresses and homes. I love to crochet but give me big hooks, thick wool and fast results any day! Maybe it's something to do with having large hands - I just don't think I could do something so delicate without screaming. So thank you to all those women who had the time, patience and skill to make these. I've selected the best bits for my kits - which are now looking for new homes and another chance to make someone's life pretty and special.

No comments:

Post a Comment