Wednesday 30 March 2011

Faded beauty


Call me weird but I've always enjoyed the faded beauty of wilted flowers. Yes, they're stunning when in full bloom and the scent is often glorious but their slow journey to the compost heap is inevitable and I enjoy this bit just as much. It's probably just me but flowers seem to spend more time on the mantle in a jar that's run out of water, gradually drying up, than they do looking marvellous after I've just bought them.

Daffodils are everywhere at the moment and a very welcome sign of spring at last. I took this picture when my first bunch of the season had been sitting around a while and the petals had begun to turn crispy like delicate tissue paper. I've tinkered with the photo in Photoshop Elements to try and give it a more 'painterly' quality. I'm still working my way through Photoshop Elements for Dummies - one methodical chapter at a time. However, sometimes that's just not doing it for me so I sit and fiddle with various buttons. The result was this little study of faded beauty. Technically, they may be past their prime but to me they are just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment