Wednesday 21 March 2012

Miss English Rose Sits in Bed for a Day

I've been sitting at home in bed today trying to fight off a virus that's had me in its clutches for two weeks now. Still, this enforced rest has meant that I finally got to watch Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - a film that's been on my Lovefilm list for months, if not years! And I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unashamedly fun and with a happy ending (of course) what I loved about it most was the fabulous 1930s set design by Sarah Greenwood.

Nowadays I find myself looking at the jewelry, clothes and furnishings in films and hardly concentrating on the plot. This film has some ravishing things in it and the bedroom in the apartment is particularly fantastic with silver Chinoiserie wall paper you would give your right arm for.

Sometimes I wish I was in charge of props on a film like this. That would be a dream job. I especially like looking at the lamps in period films. There are crystal lamps and wall sconces in opulent abundance in Miss Pettigrew.

Which reminds me, I have a lovely pair of crystal wall lights that I renovated several years ago still sitting in the cupboard. They were a rather garish gold colour when I found them in a junk shop so I applied a verdigris treatment to the metal parts and washed the crystals by hand in soapy water. The finished result was not at all bad but I've moved around so much in recent years they haven't yet found their way onto the wall. I'll know that I am truly settled when those crystal sconces finally have a home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment